Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Latio Floorpan and Boot Soundproofing

After doing back-breaking DIY soundproofing of the floorpan on my 2 previous cars, I decided to engage experts from the car audio industry to do it for my latest ride this time.


I completed my Latio floorpan (labour $160) and boot (labour $40) soundproofing at Sin Kit Audiophile (Toa Payoh Industrial Estate) in June 2005 using my own supplied materials such as the 20m x 1m roll of vinyl-backed bitumen sheets and closed-cell insulation foam sheets (such as Armaflex, Aeroflex, Insuflex, Superlon etc.).



The road noise from the Aspec DB tyres at highway speed is now much more muffled and the ride is more refined. At lower speeds, running over humps and rough roads almost produced no noise in the cabin other than feelable bumps from the suspensions. I would say there is a reduction in road noise of at least 50%, not bad from a car already designed to be quiet from ground up.

Here is a picture of my floorpan before the soundproofing. As you can see, there are already small patches of factory-installed bitumen sheets sprayed painted to my vehicle colour on the floor board:-

My floorpan with 4 layers of 1.5mm bitumen sheets pasted on to dampen vibrations and lower the road noise resonance frequency:-

The stock Latio soundproofing comes with these 5cm thick styrofoam plates. It was quite a suprise to see these styrofoam but we decided to put them back after pasting the bitumen layers on the bare metal below:-


More pics of the 4-layers bitumen sheets applied on bare metal on the floorpan and under the rear bench:-
The workers next laid 1/4 inch thick Armaflex insulation foam sheets on the styrofoam and bitumen sheets. The Armaflex sheets serves as an additional sound absorbing layer:-


The insulation foam sheets laid on top of the bitumen :

Next: The boot soundproofing. The sidewall carpets, boot floor cover and spare tyre taken out to reveal naked panels with small patches of factory-installed bitumen pieces:-

The spare tyre well, boot sidewalls and rear wheel arches were generously pasted with an estimated 3 to 4 layers of 1.5mm bitumen dampening sheets. That used up my entire roll of 20 sqm bitumen sheets:-

A layer of insulation foam sheet is then overlaid on the bitumen to act as a noise absorber:-

Overall, I would say the skills level of Darren's workers is good and they are meticulous. It was certainly very hard work as it took 2 to 3 workers almost 7 hours to complete all these.

As with any soundproofing project at ICE shops, before you start, make sure you come to an agreement with the boss on the numbers of layers you expect to have applied and then hang around to ensure it is done as agreed. I have forummers who told me they were cheated on the work done (not at Sin Kit) previously as they "trusted" the boss. They had only one thin layer of bitumen pasted when they finished, with the remaining bitumen thrown or returned back.

Next project: DIY door and roof soundproofing using a new type of aluminium-foil backed bitumen sheets (called Solar Shield, very similar to Accumat Hyperflex but many times cheaper) and Armaflex or Superlon insulation foam.

15 comments:

  1. hi where did u bought the sound proofing material? thinking of buying them.

    Please advise
    u can email me at lai.yhj@gmail.com

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Bro,

    kindly advise on where to buy the whole roll of soundproof material. Kindly email to hougmall@yahoo.com.sg

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey,

    do the bitumen sheets come off if you park your car under hot sun ??

    ReplyDelete
  4. The plastic backed bitumen is only good for cooler floor areas. For hot areas such as doors, roof, bonnet etc, use the aluminium bitumen as it won't come off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely presented information in this post, I prefer to read this kind of stuff. The quality of content is fine and the conclusion is good. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Nice articles, thank you for sharing with us, I just bookmaker you site for feature reference and waiting for your new edition. Keep going, Thank again for shearing with us."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great information .Really interesting read and very helpful !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like all the reviews have been posted by the visitors ofthis site ,some of them are very good suggested regard the article.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sound proofing sheet is really very best for cars. It's really very best for cars. I am really impressed by this post. Sound deadening

    ReplyDelete
  10. Polycarbonate multiwall sheets are the most widely used materials for roof glazing.
    Polycarbonate Greenhouse Panels|Polycarbonate Multiwall Sheets

    ReplyDelete
  11. Halo,I'm Helena Julio from Ecuador,I want to talk good about Le_Meridian Funding Service on this topic.Le_Meridian Funding Service gives me financial support when all bank in my city turned down my request to grant me a loan of 500,000.00 USD, I tried all i could to get a loan from my banks here in Ecuador but they all turned me down because my credit was low but with god grace I came to know about Le_Meridian so I decided to give a try to apply for the loan. with God willing they grant me  loan of 500,000.00 USD the loan request that my banks here in Ecuador has turned me down for, it was really awesome doing business with them and my business is going well now. Here is Le_Meridian Funding Investment Email/WhatsApp Contact if you wish to apply loan from them.Email:lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.comWhatsApp Contact:+1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing this great post about soundproofing. Great and practical tips you have shared here. I am very happy with the Silencer service and the work. A pleasure to deal with car soundproofing services. Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete